Monday 11 June 2012

To the American Wine Society

Hello.

My name is David Hall and I thought that I would write to you for two reasons. The first I will tell you about now - I had a glass of Blossom Hill last night. It was really lovely.

The second is that I would like to ask for some help. I have been going to the same annual wine tasting event for the last few years. This is always a cracking time, but it appears to be full of people who actually know a lot about wine. I have been managing to get away with not knowing much about wine by saying things like, 'that's got a good nose on it.' and 'the notes of melon remind me of summer parties.' But I think people might notice that I'm making it up.

What other things could I say so I can appear sophisticated and knowledgeable? I tried saying 'The winter fruit cocktail sends thoughts of apartheid resonating through the palate.' because a blonde curly haired lady on English telly says things like that, but people thought I was being a moron.

Thanks for your help and wisdom.

David Hall
---------------------------------------------------

David,

The best thing is to be honest and trust your palate.  I assume you live in England and unfortunately, the American Wine Society doesn’t have any chapters there, but talk to people at local wine shops and start tasting wines and asking questions.  You’ll learn more quickly.

John Hames 
Executive Director 
American Wine Society

No comments:

Post a Comment