Monday 6 May 2013

To Devon Bird News...


Hello.

I was walking my dog tonight, down the seafront in Ilfracombe when I saw, what must've been, a new species of bird.

It appeared to have the head of a sparrow and the body of a raven. Now, I'm not suggesting that an unsolicited poultry splicing gang are marauding the streets of West Devon, but that's certainly what it looked like.

Has anyone else reported such a thing?

It also appeared to have a very unique cry, sounding a little like the awestruck exhale of a young child who's just witnessed an elaborate card trick.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

David Hall
P.s. If it is a new species and I get to name it then it will be known as a Kevin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for your email to Devon Bird News, it's an interesting description but I'm afraid you have not found a new species of bird! That will never happen in the UK, or Europe. Only in the deepest darkest rain forests may new species of birds be found now.  (That is not including DNA analysis of already known species though).

As for your bird, my best guess is that it was a Crow or Raven, which has lost all the feathering around its head. This does happen, and it looks very weird!  It really is amazing how much feathers make up the mass of any bird, their actual body is tiny compared with what we see.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

Steve Waite
Devon Bird Recorder

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve,

Are you sure my Kevin wasn't a new bird? Now you mention it, he did look a bit South American. He certainly would have suited a pencil moustache and sombrero...

David Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment